Need-Based Tuition Assistance
The School Tuition Organization, or STO, is Holy Family's primary source of tuition assistance. It provides grants for qualified students to attend non-public schools within the Archdiocese of Dubuque. The STO receives voluntary cash contributions from Iowa taxpayers and allocates those funds to tuition grants for families based on their identified financial need. Typically in January, families can complete an application for the new school year, which is confidentially reviewed by FACTS, and grants are announced in May.
Families are eligible for the Our Faith, Our Children, Our Future STO assistance if their taxable income for 2016 is at or below 300% of the poverty level. The poverty level is set by federal guidelines. If you do not qualify, keep in mind that other sources of assistance are available, and the reconsideration process, explained below, takes into consideration specific personal circumstances rather than household income alone.
- STO qualifying levels are based upon 300% of 2017 Federal Poverty Levels as required by Iowa Law.
- Family size includes parents/guardians plus the total number of dependents claimed on 2016 tax return. For families with more than eight persons, add $12,540 for each additional person.
- Families are eligible for STO assistance if their taxable income is at or below the above-listed income levels. Local assistance may not be based upon the above. Falling within these guidelines does not guarantee tuition assistance.
Once monies from the School Tuition Organization are distributed, families may reapply for additional aid if needed. Applications are reviewed by a special board of education subcommittee, and grants are fulfilled thanks to the support we receive from parish credits, parish grants and donations made to the Holy Family Sustaining Our Future Annual Fund.
- Parish Credits: The Wahlert Foundation has provided funds for more than 60 years to help parents with the cost of tuition. By Foundation regulations, the bulk of each annual grant provided by the Foundation is channeled to our supporting parishes for distribution to their parishioners.
- Parish Grants: Many of our supporting parishes have funds from trusts and other sources available to assist their parishioners with tuition costs, with special consideration given to those who give of their time and talent to the parish and who attend Mass each weekend.
How to Apply for Tuition Assistance
To receive assistance from the School Tuition Organization or through the reconsideration process, families must first complete a FACTS Application.
Apply for Tuition Assistance